Blog: How 'big data' can help you maximise your people investment
Recognise This! – Your single greatest “expense” is your employees. Big Data can help you get the most out of that investment.
- Determining the data you should gather
- Finding the appropriate mechanisms to gather the data you want
- Analysing the data you end up with
- Determining the Data – You don’t need to know how many of your employees are happy or satisfied. You need to know if they are living your corporate values whilst contributing to your strategic objectives. You need to know how they are doing this, when they do it well, and who does it best.
- Finding the Mechanism – A strategic, social “everyone-to-everyone” recognition programme is the ideal solution as it broadens the data generation to all employees in the organisation, every day, and focusses it on your core values and strategic objectives.
- Analysing the Data – This becomes easy through Talent Maps and infographics that show at a glance who is doing what you need them to do well in addition to uncovering the pockets where this is not happening. Now you can quickly intervene.
- Broad reach – You must target 80-90% of your employees for recognition. You cannot focus on just your top 10% of high performers and expect to generate this kind of big data
- Frequency – You must encourage frequent and timely recognition of employees when they demonstrate a value or achieve an objective. Annual feedback isn’t enough to generate big data.
- Specific and detailed – You must require specific, detailed messages of recognition to ensure you’re gathering the full nature of what is being recognised and why. Without the details, you can’t analyse your culture at work or the impact on your employees.